Friday, August 21, 2015

Love

Can you define love?


Love.

This is probably the most overused word out there.

"I love this!"
"Oh my, she would love that!"
"I love you."

But what does it really mean?

I set out on a quest to really define love. I searched the web, and stumbled upon this interesting website. It is called, canyoudefinelove.com. From what I've gathered, anyone can write their own definition of love. And let me tell you, some people have a very twisted definition. 

It makes me wonder, do they really believe love that is what love is?

These are just two of the millions of definitions that grabbed my attention:
"Love is some strange feeling that kills us slowly :("
"Love is distraction"

But...
Love is patient.
Love is kind.
It does not envy.
It does not boast.
It is not proud.
It does not dishonor others.
It is not self-seeking.
It is not easily angered.
It keeps no record of wrongs.
Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with truth.
It always protects.
Always trusts.
Always hopes.
Always preserves.
Love never fails.

So often, I tell myself that if someone loved me, they'd make time for me. If they loved me, they wouldn't hurt me. If they loved me, they wouldn't lie to me. But is that the definition of love? Is that what the Lord calls LOVE? I find myself getting hurt when I forget to recognize that the "love" that is described isn't the love anyone can give me. I'm always searching for some love that cannot be fulfilled by people, but only Jesus.

Maybe you struggle with that too. Maybe you feel like no one cares about you. Maybe you compare the love described in 1 Corinthians 13 with the love you aren't getting from man. I understand. It's painful, incredibly painful. But you aren't alone. The kind of love described above is REAL. From a REAL creator who made you to crave those things, crave that kind of love. But He didn't intend for you to find it in anyone else except Him.

Have you ever heard the phrase, "He is jealous for you?" You've probably heard it in the popular song called, 'How He Loves.' But it's the concept I was talking about. He is jealous for us. He gets jealous when we seek unconditional love from mankind, especially when He is the only one who can love unconditionally. So next time you feel human rejection, human inadequacy to love you in a way they weren't intended to, remember the One who DOES love you that much, in that way, more than you could ever believe or understand. He loves us.

In His Peace,
Hannah

No comments:

Post a Comment